Michigan - Multi-hazard Practice Drills: Program Requirements
Michigan Compiled Laws 29.19 Fire drills in schools and dormitories
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a minimum of 8 fire drills is required for each school year. If weather conditions do not permit fire drills to be held at least once a month, then at least 5 fire drills shall be held in the fall of each year and 3 fire drills shall be held during the remaining part of the school year.
(3) A minimum of 5 fire drills is required for each school year for a school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12. Three of the fire drills shall be held by December 1 of the school year, and 2 shall be held during the remaining part of the school year, with a reasonable spacing interval between each drill.
(4) A minimum of 2 tornado safety drills is required for each school year at the schools and facilities described in subsection (1). At least 1 of the tornado safety drills shall be conducted during March of the school year. These drills shall be conducted for the purpose of preventing injuries caused by severe weather.
(5) A minimum of 3 drills in which the occupants are restricted to the interior of the building and the building secured is required for each school year at a school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12. At least 1 of these drills shall be conducted by December 1 of the school year, and at least 1 shall be conducted after January 1 of the school year, with a reasonable spacing interval between each drill. A drill conducted under this subsection shall include security measures that are appropriate to an emergency such as the release of a hazardous material or the presence of a potentially dangerous individual on or near the premises. The governing body of a school shall seek input from the administration of the school and local public safety officials on the nature of the drills to be conducted under this subsection.
(6) A school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12 shall conduct at least 1 of the drills required by this section during a lunch or recess period, or at another time when a significant number of the students are gathered but not in the classroom.
(7) For a school that operates any of grades kindergarten to 12, the governing body of the school shall ensure that documentation of a completed school safety drill is posted on its website within 30 school days after the drill is completed and is maintained on the website for at least 3 years. For a school operated by a school district or intermediate school district, the documentation may be posted on the district website. The documentation posted on the website shall include at least all of the following:
(a) The name of the school.
(b) The school year of the drill.
(c) The date and time of the drill.
(d) The type of drill completed.
(e) The number of completed drills for that school year for each type of drill required under subsections (3) to (5).
(f) The signature of the school principal or his or her designee acknowledging the completion of the drill.
(g) The name of the individual in charge of conducting the drill, if other than the school principal.