Michigan - Safety and Security Partnerships: Partnerships
Michigan Compiled Laws 380.1240 Law enforcement agency; creation
(1) Subject to subsection (3), the board of a school district that has a membership of at least 20,000 pupils and that includes in its territory a city with a population of at least 180,000 as of the most recent decennial census may create a law enforcement agency in accordance with and as provided under the public body law enforcement agency act, 2004 PA 378, MCL 28.581 to 28.590.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), if the board of a school district creates a law enforcement agency under subsection (1), the board may grant to law enforcement officers of that law enforcement agency the same powers, immunities, and authority as are granted by law to peace officers and police officers to detect crime and to enforce the criminal laws of this state and to enforce state laws, local ordinances, and the ordinances and regulations of the school district, as provided under the public body law enforcement agency act, 2004 PA 378, MCL 28.581 to 28.590. Law enforcement officers to whom the authority of peace officers and police officers is granted under that act are considered peace officers of this state and have the authority of police officers provided under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, and as provided under the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 760.1 to 777.69.
(3) If a school district operates a law enforcement agency under this section and becomes a qualifying school district under section 12b, the qualifying school district’s law enforcement agency shall be transferred by operation of law on the transfer date to the community district created under part 5b. Beginning on the transfer date, the community district may operate a law enforcement agency in accordance with this section.
(4) For purposes of this section, a community district’s membership is considered to be the same as the membership of the qualifying school district whose law enforcement agency is transferred under subsection (3).
(5) As used in this section, “transfer date” means that term as defined in section 12b.