Arkansas - Student Searches: Program Requirements
2017 Arkansas Code 6-21-608. Concealment of guns or drugs
(a) As used in this section:
- (1) "School official" means any public school employee receiving compensation for services from any public school system in the State of Arkansas;
- (2) "School-owned property" means any property located among premises owned in whole or in part by the state or any city, district, or county within the state, including but not limited to any desk, locker, file, or other tangible property assigned to, for the use of, or on loan to any student or other person using the property for his or her own use;
- (3) "School premises" means any locale upon which is situated any school building; and
- (4) "Supervisor" means any person who is employed as administrator or supervisor of any public school.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any student or any other person using school-owned property to conceal any gun, drug, or any other contraband in any desk, locker, or other school-owned property in this state.
- (1) Any school official employed in a supervisory capacity over students or other persons on school premises, upon receipt of information that guns, drugs, or other contraband are concealed in school-owned property, shall have the authority to investigate and search any school-owned property for any drugs, guns, or other contraband that may be concealed in the school-owned property, without the necessity of obtaining a search warrant from local authorities.
- (2) In the event that contraband is discovered, it shall be seized and held by the supervisor of the school premises until appropriate action, as described in subsection (d) of this section, is taken.