Indiana - Student Searches: Program Requirements
Indiana Code 20-33-8-32 Locker searches
(a) A school corporation must provide each:
- (1) student; and
- (2) student’s parent;
a copy of the rules of the governing body on searches of students’ lockers and locker contents.
(b) A student who uses a locker that is the property of a school corporation is presumed to have no expectation of privacy in:
- (1) that locker; or
- (2) the locker’s contents.
(c) In accordance with the rules of the governing body, a principal may search:
- (1) a student’s locker; and
- (2) the locker’s contents;
at any time.
(d) A law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the geographic area having a school facility containing a student’s locker may:
- (1) at the request of the school principal; and
- (2) in accordance with rules of the governing body of the school corporation;
assist a school administrator in searching a student’s locker and the locker’s contents.