Tennessee - Student Searches: Program Requirements
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 49-6-4205. Search of students.
(a) A student may be subject to physical search because of the results of a locker search, or because of information received from a teacher, staff member, student or other person if such action is reasonable to the principal.
(b) All of the following standards of reasonableness shall be met:
- (1) A particular student has violated school policy;
- (2) The search will yield evidence of the violation of school policy or will lead to disclosure of a dangerous weapon, drug paraphernalia or drug;
- (3) The search is in pursuit of legitimate interests of the school in maintaining order, discipline, safety, supervision and education of students;
- (4) The search is not conducted for the sole purpose of discovering evidence to be used in a criminal prosecution; and
- (5) The search shall be reasonably related to the objectives of the search and not excessively intrusive in light of the age and sex of the student, as well as the nature of the infraction alleged to have been committed.