Tennessee - Tobacco-Free Environments: Policy or Plan Requirements
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1604. Places where smoking is prohibited.
Smoking is not permitted, and no person shall smoke, in the following places:
- (1) Child care centers; provided, that the prohibition of this section does not apply to the services provided in a private home. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access. However, written notification shall be given to the parent or legal guardian upon enrollment if the child care center has an indoor designated smoking area;
- (2) Any room or area in a community center while the room or area is being used for children's activities;
- (3) Group care homes. Adults may smoke in any fully enclosed adult staff residential quarters contained within a group care home, but not in the presence of children who reside as clients in the group care home;
- (4) Health care facilities, excluding nursing home facilities. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access and adults may be permitted to smoke outside the facility;
- (5) Museums (except when used after normal operating hours for private functions not attended by children). Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke while at work in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access;
- (6) All public and private kindergartens, elementary and secondary schools. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke outdoors but not within fifty feet (50') of any entrance to any building. Adults may also smoke in any fully enclosed adult staff residential quarters, but not in the presence of children attending the school;
- (7) Residential treatment facilities for children and youth. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access;
- (8) Youth development centers and facilities. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access;
- (9) Zoos. Adult staff members may be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas to which children are not allowed access; and
- (10) School grounds; provided, that after regular school hours, adults are allowed to smoke on the property surrounding the institution, but not blocking any entrance to any building. The property shall not include any public seating areas, including, but not limited to, bleachers used for sporting events, or public restrooms.
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1603. Part definitions.
(8) "School grounds" means any building, structure, and surrounding outdoor grounds contained within a public or private preschool, nursery school, kindergarten, elementary or secondary school's legally defined property boundaries as registered in a county register's office, and any publicly owned or leased vehicle used to transport children to or from school or any officially sanctioned or organized school event;
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1605. "No smoking" signs -- Posting notice.
(a) "No Smoking" signs, or the international "No Smoking" symbol, which consists of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a circle with a bar across it, shall be prominently posted and properly maintained on each main building entrance where smoking is regulated by this part. The "No Smoking" signs or "No Smoking" symbols shall be prominently displayed throughout the building to ensure that the public is aware of the restriction.
(b) The following notice shall be prominently posted, including at each ticket booth, for elementary or secondary school sporting events:
- "Smoking is prohibited by law in seating areas and in restrooms."
Rules of the Tennessee Department of Education 0520-01-05-.01 OPERATION OF SCHOOL BUSES.
(a) Commercial advertising shall be permitted only on the rear quarter panels of the school bus; no more than two (2) advertisements per rear quarter panel shall be permitted.
(b) The size of commercial advertising per quarter panel shall not exceed thirty-six (36") inches in height and ninety (90") inches in length, including any border or framing.
(c) The commercial advertising shall consist of black lettering on a white background.
(d) Commercial advertising shall not include:
- Tobacco or alcohol products,
Tennessee Secretary of State
- Tobacco or alcohol products,
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1602. Purpose.
It is the intention of the general assembly that this part reduce the extent to which children are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke in facilities where children's services are provided.
2017 Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1606. Penalty -- Enforcement.
(a) An institution violating this part or failing to take reasonable measures to enforce this part commits a Class B misdemeanor, punishable only by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500).
(b) Any law enforcement officer may issue a citation regarding a violation of this part.