Arizona - Transportation Safety—safety training: Program Requirement
Arizona Revised Statutes 28-3228 School bus drivers; requirements; rules; cancellation
B. To be certified as a school bus driver a person shall do both of the following:
- Meet and maintain the minimum standards prescribed by this section and rules adopted by the department of public safety in consultation with the school bus advisory council established by section 28-3053.
- Complete an initial instructional course on school bus driver safety and training including behind the wheel training.
C. The department of public safety in consultation with the school bus advisory council established by section 28-3053 shall adopt rules that establish minimum standards for the certification of school bus drivers. In cooperation with local school districts, the department of public safety shall provide for school bus driver safety and training courses. The standards established shall:
- Include requirements concerning moral character, knowledge of school bus operation, pupil and motor vehicle safety, physical impairments that might affect the applicant’s ability to safely operate a school bus or that might endanger the health or safety of school bus passengers, knowledge of first aid, establishment of school bus safety and training courses, a refresher course to be completed on at least a biennial basis and other matters as the department of public safety and the school bus advisory council established by section 28-3053 prescribe for the protection of the public.
- Require tests to detect the presence of alcohol or the use of a drug in violation of title 13, chapter 34 that may adversely affect the ability of the applicant to safely operate a school bus.
- Authorize the performance of hearing tests with or without the use of a hearing aid as provided in 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 391.41.