Illinois - Transportation Safety—safety training: Program Requirement
Illinois Administrative Code 23-1.515 Training of School Bus Driver Instructors
Initial and refresher training is required of all school bus drivers by Section 6-106.1 of the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5/6-106.1]. Pursuant to Section 3-14.23 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/3-14.23], regional superintendents of schools are responsible for conducting training programs for school bus drivers. These programs shall be established by the State Board of Education and approved by the Secretary of State pursuant to the Secretary's rules titled School Bus Driver Permit (92 Ill. Adm. Code 1035).
- a) 92 Ill. Adm. Code 1035.30 of the Secretary's rules requires the certification of bus driver instructors by the State Board of Education. The following standards shall apply to this certification.
- 1) The person must be at least 21 years of age.
- 2) The person must hold or have held an Illinois School Bus Driver's Permit, hold a current professional educator license endorsed for driver education, or have the approval of the regional superintendent as having had other direct involvement in school bus transportation.
- 3) The person must provide a current, valid card as evidence of having completed a course in first aid from the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or another national organization that is recognized by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- 4) The person must have assisted a certified instructor in conducting an initial school bus driver training course and a refresher course; the person must also have taught each of these types of courses under the observation of a certified instructor and have received a satisfactory evaluation of overall teaching performance.
- 5) Certification of bus driver instructors shall be renewed annually. Renewal shall be sought by the regional superintendent of the region where services will be provided, with the permission of the individuals in question and using a form supplied by the State Superintendent of Education. Renewal of certification shall be based on the criteria set forth in subsections (a)(1) through (a)(4) of this Section.
- b) The State Superintendent shall notify each regional superintendent of the certification status of all affected instructors in his or her region and of any deficiencies preventing the certification of any individual. The regional superintendent shall be responsible for notifying instructors of their status.
- c) The regional superintendent shall be responsible for notifying the employers of all bus drivers who complete initial or refresher training courses.
Illinois Administrative Code 23-1.510 Transportation
g) Local school boards shall institute policies and practices that promote the safety and well-being of school bus passengers, including provisions that support Section 10-22.6(b) of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/10-22.6(b)]. Local school boards shall require that all school bus drivers who transport pupils have been trained as discussed in Section 1.515 of this Part. The requirements set forth in subsections (h) through (n) of this Section shall serve as minimum statewide requirements for operating a school bus.
Illinois Compiled Statutes 105-5-10-20.14. Student discipline policies; parent-teacher advisory committee.
(c) The parent-teacher advisory committee, in cooperation with school bus personnel, shall develop, with the school board, policy guideline procedures to establish and maintain school bus safety procedures. These procedures shall be incorporated into the district’s pupil discipline policy.