Wisconsin - Transportation Safety—safety training: Program Requirement
Wisconsin Statutes 121.54 Transportation by school districts
(1) City option.
- (a) Subsections (2) and (6) and s. 121.57 do not apply to pupils who reside in a school district that contains all or part of a city unless the school they attend is located outside the city but within the boundaries of the school district.
- (b) If a school district elects under sub. (2) (c) to provide transportation for the pupils under par. (a), state aid shall be paid in accordance with s. 121.58, and there shall be reasonable uniformity in the transportation furnished to the pupils, whether they attend public or private schools.
- (c) Paragraph (a) does not apply to pupils who reside in a school district that contains all or part of a 1st, 2nd or 3rd class city with a population exceeding 40,000 unless transportation for the pupils is available through a common carrier of passengers operating under s. 85.20 or ch. 194.
(2) General transportation.
- (a) Except as provided in sub. (1), every school board shall provide transportation to and from public school for all pupils who reside in the school district 2 miles or more from the nearest public school they are entitled to attend.
- (am) In lieu of transporting a pupil who is eligible for transportation under par. (a) to and from his or her residence, a school district may transport the pupil to or from, or both, a before- and after-school child care program under s. 120.125, a child care program under s. 120.13 (14), or any other child care program, family child care home, or child care provider.
- Except as provided in sub. (1) or otherwise provided in this subsection, the school board of each district operating high school grades shall provide transportation to and from the school a pupil attends for each pupil residing in the school district who attends any elementary grade, including kindergarten, or high school grade at a private school located 2 miles or more from the pupil’s residence, if such private school is a school within whose attendance area the pupil resides and is situated within the school district or not more than 5 miles beyond the boundaries of the school district measured along the usually traveled route.