District of Columbia - Water Quality: Program Requirement
D.C. Code 38–825.01. Environmental programs office.
- (1) An environmental programs office is established in the Department of General Services and shall:
- (A) Contract with vendors to recycle all materials required by District law at all public schools, including food services, by December 31, 2010, and provide technical assistance to public charter schools about recycling.
- (B) Develop a master recycling plan for public schools on or before December 31, 2011 to reach a system-wide diversion rate of 45% by August 1, 2015;
- (C) Analyze utility usage at each public school and develop a plan to reduce that amount by 20% on or before August 1, 2015;
- (D) Establish an integrated pest management program;
- (E) Test drinking water in public schools for lead and promptly take any remedial action required;