Indiana - Alternative Education for Expelled Students: Programs and Services
Indiana Code 20-30-8-13 Department to encourage and assist in establishing program; program for chronically disruptive students
(a) The department shall encourage school corporations to assess the need in the school corporation for an alternative education program or an area alternative education program.
(b) Upon request of a school corporation, the department shall assist the school corporation in establishing an alternative education program.
Indiana Code 20-30-8-1 "Alternative education program"
As used in this chapter, “alternative education program” refers to an alternative school or educational program that is described in section 6 [IC 20-30-8-6] of this chapter. The term includes:
(1) an alternative education program described in section 5(a)(1) [IC 20-30-8-5(a)(1)] of this chapter; or
(2) an area alternative education program described in section 5(a)(2) [IC 20-30-8-5(a)(2)] of this chapter.
Indiana Code 20-30-8-10 "Alternative education program"
A student placed in an alternative education program must meet at least one (1) of the following criteria:
(1) The student intends to withdraw or has withdrawn from school before graduation.
(2) The student has been identified as a student who:
- (A) has failed to comply academically; and
- (B) would benefit from instruction offered in a manner different from the manner of instruction available in a traditional school.
(3) The student is a parent or an expectant parent and is unable to regularly attend the traditional school program.
(4) The student is employed and the employment:
- (A) is necessary for the support of the student or the student’s immediate family; and
- (B) interferes with a part of the student’s instructional day.
(5) The student is a disruptive student.