Louisiana - Bullying Policy Consequences: Policy or Plan Requirements
Louisiana Revised Statutes 17:416.13 Student code of conduct; requirement; bullying; prohibition; notice; reporting; accountability
D. (3)(e) Disciplinary Action. If the school has received a report of bullying, has determined that an act of bullying has occurred, and after meeting with the parent or legal guardian of the students involved, the school official shall:
(i) Take prompt and appropriate disciplinary action, pursuant to R.S. 17:416 and 416.1, against the student that the school official determines has engaged in conduct which constitutes bullying, if appropriate.
(ii) Report criminal conduct to law enforcement, if appropriate.
Louisiana Revised Statutes 14:40.7 Cyberbullying.
A. Cyberbullying is the transmission of any electronic textual, visual, written, or oral communication with the malicious and willful intent to coerce, abuse, torment, or intimidate a person under the age of eighteen.
B. For purposes of this Section:
(1) “Cable operator” means any person or group of persons who provides cable service over a cable system and directly, or through one or more affiliates, owns a significant interest in such cable system, or who otherwise controls or is responsible for, through any arrangement, the management and operation of such a cable system.
(2) “Electronic textual, visual, written, or oral communication” means any communication of any kind made through the use of a computer online service, Internet service, or any other means of electronic communication, including but not limited to a local bulletin board service, Internet chat room, electronic mail, or online messaging service.
(3) “Interactive computer service” means any information service, system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server, including a service or system that provides access to the Internet and such systems operated or services offered by libraries or educational institutions.
(4) “Telecommunications service” means the offering of telecommunications for a fee directly to the public, regardless of the facilities used.
C. An offense committed pursuant to the provisions of this Section may be deemed to have been committed where the communication was originally sent, originally received, or originally viewed by any person.
D. (1) Except as provided in Paragraph (2) of this Subsection, whoever commits the crime of cyberbullying shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
- (2) When the offender is under the age of seventeen, the disposition of the matter shall be governed exclusively by the provisions of Title VII of the Children’s Code.
E. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to a provider of an interactive computer service, provider of a telecommunications service, or a cable operator as defined by the provisions of this Section.
F. The provisions of this Section shall not be construed to prohibit or restrict religious free speech pursuant to Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution of Louisiana.