Alabama - Bullying Policy Definitions: Policy or Plan Requirements
Code of Alabama Section 16-28B-3. Definitions.
(2) HARASSMENT. A continuous pattern of intentional behavior that takes place on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function including, but not limited to, written, electronic, verbal, or physical acts that are reasonably perceived as being motivated by any characteristic of a student, or by the association of a student with an individual who has a particular characteristic, if the characteristic falls into one of the categories of personal characteristics contained in the model policy adopted by the department or by a local board. To constitute harassment, a pattern of behavior may do any of the following:
- a. Place a student in reasonable fear of harm to his or her person or damage to his or her property.
- b. Have the effect of substantially interfering with the educational performance, opportunities, or benefits of a student.
- c. Have the effect of substantially disrupting or interfering with the orderly operation of the school.
- d. Have the effect of creating a hostile environment in the school, on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function.
- e. Have the effect of being sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive enough to create an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for a student.