Oregon - Chronic Absenteeism Early Warning Systems: Programs and Services (S/D)
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.080 Nonattendance notice to parents, school officials and parole or probation officer.
(1) Except as provided in ORS 339.030, in case any parent or other person in parental relation fails to send any child under the control of the parent or other person to the public school, the attendance supervisor, within 24 hours after notification from the proper authority of the failure, shall give formal written notice in person or by registered or certified mail to the parent or other person.
(2) The notice required by subsection (1) of this section must inform the parent or other person in parental relation that:
- (a) The child must appear at the public school on the next school day following the receipt of the notice.
- (b) Regular attendance at school must be maintained during the remainder of the school year.
(c) The parent or other person in parental relation has the right to request:
- (A) For a child who does not have an individualized education program, an evaluation to determine if the child should have an individualized education program; or
- (B) For a child who has an individualized education program, a review of the individualized education program.
(3) At the same time notice is given to the parent or other person, the attendance supervisor shall notify the superintendent or principal, as suitable, of the fact of the notice. The superintendent or principal shall notify the attendance supervisor of any failure on the part of the parent or other person to comply with the notice.
(4) If the child who is the subject of a notice under subsection (1) of this section is a youth offender on parole or probation, at the same time notice is given to the parent or other person, the attendance supervisor shall notify the child’s parole or probation officer of the child’s absence.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.055 Duties of attendance supervisors.
The attendance supervisor when notified of a truancy or unexcused absence shall investigate the truancy or nonattendance at school. If the child is not exempt from compulsory school attendance, the attendance supervisor shall proceed as provided in ORS 339.080 and 339.090.
Oregon Revised Statutes 339.090 Determination of compliance; notice to district superintendent.
The attendance supervisor shall determine whether the parent or other person given written notice of attendance requirements has complied with the notice. If the attendance supervisor determines that the parent or other person has failed to comply, the attendance supervisor, within three days after having knowledge of such failure or after being notified thereof, shall notify the district superintendent.