Alaska - Dating Violence Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Alaska Statutes 2017 Section 14.30.356 Dating violence and abuse policy, training, awareness, preventio, and notices.
(a) The governing body of each school district shall adopt and implement a policy, establish a training program for employees and students, and provide parent notices relating to dating violence and abuse in grades seven through 12. A training program adopted under this section must emphasize prevention and awareness.
(b) The policy, training, notices, and instruction adopted under this section must include
- (1) age-appropriate information;
- (2) the warning signs of dating violence and abusive behavior;
- (3) characteristics of healthy relationships;
- (4) measures to prevent and stop dating violence and abuse;
- (5) community resources available to victims of dating violence and abuse; and
- (6) a procedure allowing a student to be excused from participating in training or from receiving notices under this section at the written request of a parent or guardian of the student, or of the student if the student is emancipated or 18 years of age or older.
(c) The training required for teachers under this section may be provided as a part of the continuing education required under AS 18.66.310.
(d) In this section,
- (1) “dating violence and abuse” means a pattern of behavior in which one person threatens to use, or actually uses, physical, sexual, verbal, emotional, or psychological abuse to control the person’s dating partner;
- (2) “school district” has the meaning given in AS 14.30.350.