Arizona - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Arizona Revised Statutes 15-2301. Hazing prevention policies; definitions
A. Every public educational institution in this state shall adopt, post and enforce a hazing prevention policy. The hazing prevention policy shall be printed in every student handbook for distribution to parents and students. Each hazing prevention policy shall include:
- 1. A definition of hazing pursuant to subsection C, paragraph 2 of this section.
- 2. A statement that hazing is prohibited.
- 3. A statement that any solicitation to engage in hazing is prohibited.
- 4. A statement that aiding and abetting another person who is engaged in hazing is prohibited.
- 5. A statement that it is not a defense to a violation of the hazing prevention policy if the hazing victim consented to or acquiesced in the hazing activity.
- 6. A statement that all students, teachers and staff shall take reasonable measures within the scope of their individual authority to prevent violations of the hazing prevention policy.
- 7. A description of the procedures for students, teachers and staff to report violations of the hazing prevention policy and the procedures to file a complaint for a violation of the hazing prevention policy.
- 8. Procedures to investigate reports of violations of the hazing prevention policy and to investigate complaints for a violation of the hazing prevention policy.
- 9. A description of the circumstances under which a violation of the hazing prevention policy shall be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- 10. A description of appropriate penalties, sanctions and appeals mechanisms for persons and organizations that violate the hazing prevention policy. The sanctions shall include the revocation or suspension of an organization’s permission to conduct operations at the educational institution if the organization knowingly permitted, authorized or condoned the hazing activity. Any teacher or staff who knowingly permitted, authorized or condoned the hazing activity is subject to disciplinary action by the educational institution.
B. Violations of hazing prevention policies adopted pursuant to this section do not include either of the following:
- 1. Customary athletic events, contests or competitions that are sponsored by an educational institution.
- 2. Any activity or conduct that furthers the goals of a legitimate educational curriculum, a legitimate extracurricular program or a legitimate military training program.