Florida - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Florida Statutes 1001.43 Supplemental powers and duties of district school board.
The district school board may exercise the following supplemental powers and duties as authorized by this code or State Board of Education rule.
(1) Student management. — The district school board may adopt programs and policies to ensure the safety and welfare of individuals, the student body, and school personnel, which programs and policies may:
- (a) Prohibit the possession of weapons and drugs on campus, student hazing, and other activities that could threaten the operation of the school or the safety and welfare of the student body or school personnel.
Florida Statutes 1006.135 Hazing prohibited at schools with any of grades 6-12.
(2) SCHOOL DISTRICT POLICY. Each school district shall adopt in rule a policy that prohibits hazing and establishes consequences for a student who commits an act of hazing. The policy must include:
- (a) A definition of hazing, which must include the definition provided in this section.
- (b) A procedure for reporting an alleged act of hazing, including provisions that permit a person to anonymously report such an act. However, disciplinary action may not be based solely on an anonymous report.
- (c) A requirement that a school with any of grades 9 through 12 report an alleged act of hazing to a local law enforcement agency if the alleged act meets the criteria established under subsection (3).
- (d) A provision for referral of victims and perpetrators of hazing to a certified school counselor.
- (e) A requirement that each incident of hazing be reported in the school’s safety and discipline report required under s. 1006.09(6). The report must include the number of hazing incidents reported, the number of incidents referred to a local law enforcement agency, the number of incidents that result in disciplinary action taken by the school, and the number of incidents that do not result in either referral to a local law enforcement agency or disciplinary action taken by the school.