Indiana - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Policy Or Plan Requirements
Indiana Code 35-42-2-2.5 Hazing; good faith reporting
(a) As used in this section, “hazing” means forcing or requiring another person:
- (1) with or without the consent of the other person; and
- (2) as a condition of association with a group or organization;
to perform an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury.
(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally performs hazing commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 6 felony if it results in serious bodily injury to another person, and a Level 5 felony if it is committed by means of a deadly weapon.
(c) A person, other than a person who has committed an offense under this section or a delinquent act that would be an offense under this section if the violator were an adult, who:
- (1) makes a report of hazing in good faith;
- (2) participates in good faith in a judicial proceeding resulting from a report of hazing;
- (3) employs a reporting or participating person described in subdivision (1) or (2); or
- (4) supervises a reporting or participating person described in subdivision (1) or (2);
is not liable for civil damages or criminal penalties that might otherwise be imposed because of the report or participation.
(d) A person described in subsection (c)(1) or (c)(2) is presumed to act in good faith.
(e) A person described in subsection (c)(1) or (c)(2) may not be treated as acting in bad faith solely because the person did not have probable cause to believe that a person committed:
- (1) an offense under this section; or
- (2) a delinquent act that would be an offense under this section if the offender were an adult.