Maine - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Maine Revised Statutes Title 20-A Education Part 3 Elementary and Secondary Education Chapter 223 Health, Nutrition and Safety Subchapter 6 Safety 6553. Prohibition of hazing
1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
- A. “Injurious hazing” means any action or situation, including harassing behavior, that recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health of any school personnel or a student enrolled in a public school.
- B. “Violator” means any person or any organization which engages in injurious hazing.
2. Adoption of Policy. The school board shall adopt a policy which establishes that “injurious hazing,” either on or off school property, by any student, staff member, group or organization affiliated with the public school is prohibited.
3. Penalties. The school board shall establish penalties for violation of the rules established in subsection 2. The penalties shall include, but not be limited to, provisions for:
- A. In the case of a person not associated with the public school, the ejection of the violator from school property;
- B. In the case of a student, administrator or staff violator, the individual’s suspension, expulsion or other appropriate disciplinary action; and
- C. In the case of an organization affiliated with the public school which authorizes hazing, rescission of permission for that organization to operate on school property or receive any other benefit of affiliation with the public school.
These penalties shall be in addition to any other civil or criminal penalty to which the violator or organization may be subject.
4. Administrative Responsibility. The school board shall assign responsibility for administering the policy to the superintendent of schools and establish procedures for appealing the action or lack of action of the superintendent.
5. Dissemination. The school board shall clearly set forth the policy and penalties adopted and shall distribute copies of them to all students enrolled in the public school.