Pennsylvania - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
Policy Or Plan Requirements
Pennsylvania Unconsolidated Statutes 2016 Act 31. Section 4. Enforcement by institution and secondary school.
(a) Antihazing Policy.—
- (1) Each institution and each governing board of a secondary school shall adopt a written antihazing policy and, pursuant to that policy, shall adopt rules prohibiting students or other persons associated with any organization operating under the sanction of or recognized as an organization by the institution or secondary school from engaging in any activity which can be described as hazing.
- (2) Each secondary school shall provide a copy of the written antihazing policy, its rules, penalties and program of enforcement to all athletic coaches involved in organizations within the secondary school.
- (3) Each governing board of a secondary school shall post its written antihazing policy on its publicly accessible Internet website.
(b) Enforcement and Penalities.—
- (1) Each institution and each governing board of a secondary school shall provide a program for the enforcement of such rules and shall adopt appropriate penalties for violations of such rules to be administered by the person or agency at the institution or secondary school responsible for the sanctioning or recognition of such organizations.
- (2) Such penalties may include the imposition of fines, the withholding of diplomas or transcripts pending compliance with the rules or pending payment of fines and the imposition of probation, suspension, dismissal or expulsion.
- (3) In the case of an organization which authorizes hazing in blatant disregard of such rules, penalties may also include recision of permission for that organization to operate on campus or other school property or to otherwise operate under the sanction or recognition of the institution or secondary school.
- (4) All penalties imposed under the authority of this section shall be in addition to any penalty imposed for violation of section 3 or any of the criminal laws of this State or for violation of any other institutional or secondary school rule to which the violator may be subject.
- (5) Rules adopted pursuant hereto shall apply to acts conducted on or off campus or other school property whenever such acts are deemed to constitute hazing.