West Virginia - Hazing Policy: Policy or Plan Requirements
West Virginia Code 18-2-33. Rules for antihazing.
(a) The Legislature hereby finds that hazing has become a problem in a limited number of public school-sponsored student organizations and that legal liability has already resulted from some of those activities. It is the intent of this section that problems with hazing in public school-sponsored student organizations be addressed.
(b) The State Board shall promulgate legislative rules in accordance with article three-b [§§29A-3B-1 et seq.], chapter twenty-nine-a of this code that addresses hazing in the public school system. The rules shall include at least the following:
- (1) A definition of hazing;
- (2) A definition of a public school-sponsored student organization that includes both cocurricular and extracurricular activities;
- (3) A method to advise students and employees of the problems associated with hazing;
- (4) Appropriate penalties or procedures for establishing penalties for students who haze while engaged in the activities of a public school-sponsored student organization; and
- (5) Methods to prevent hazing in public school-sponsored organizations.
(c) The State Board shall consider the antihazing law set forth in article sixteen [§§18-16-1 et seq.], chapter eighteen in drafting the rules required by this section.
(d) Nothing in this section or in the policy promulgated in accordance with this section may be construed to prevent a suspension or expulsion executed in accordance with section one-a [§18A-5-1a], article five, chapter eighteen-a of this code.