District of Columbia - Limits on Referrals to Law Enforcement: Prohibitions or Restrictions
District of Columbia Municipal Regulations 2502 GROUNDS FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION
2502.5 Tier V behaviors are those behaviors not specifically enumerated in any other tier in this chapter that are illegal, cause significant disruption to the school operation, or cause substantial harm to self or others. Tier V behaviors result in off-site Suspension or Expulsion.
(a) The following behaviors shall be considered Tier V behaviors:
- (1) Acts of Exceptional Misconduct at other schools;
- (2) Vandalism/destruction of property over $ 500;
- (3) Selling or Distribution of marijuana, prescription drugs, controlled dangerous substances, imitation controlled substances, inhalants, other intoxicants, controlled or drug paraphernalia;
- (4) The Possession or Distribution of alcohol;
- (5) The Possession of drug paraphernalia or controlled substance, irrespective of the amount or type, pursuant to the criminal statutes of the District of Columbia, codified at D.C. Official Code § 48-1101 et seq. (2001)
- (6) Causing serious disruption or damage to school's computer systems, electronic files, or network;
- (7) Possession of fireworks or explosives;
- (8) Theft or attempted theft using force, coercion, intimidation, or Threat of violence;
- (9) Assault or physical attack on student or staff;
- (10) Fighting which results in a serious physical injury;
- (11) Participating in group fight which has been planned, causes major disruption to school day or results in substantial bodily injury;
- (12) Using an article that is not normally considered a weapon to injure another individual;
- (13) Use, threatened use, or transfer of any weapon;
- (14) Use, Possession, or bringing to school a loaded or unloaded firearm, as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921 (2000), including but not limited to pistols, blank pistols, starter pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns.
- (15) Any behavior that violates the Gun-Free Schools Act;
- (16) Deliberate acts that cause severe physical injury to another person (s).
- (17) Assault with a weapon;
- (18) Commission or attempted commission of any act of sexual assault or sexual aggression;
- (19) Arson;
- (20) Biohazard;
- (21) Bomb threat;
- (22) Any other intentional use of violence, force, coercion, Threats, intimidation, or other comparable conduct which causes or attempts to cause severe physical injury, substantial disruption, or obstruction of any lawful mission, process, or function of the D.C. Public Schools;
- (23) Any behavior or other conduct not specifically enumerated in any other tier in this chapter that is illegal, causes significant disruption to the school operation, or causes substantial harm to self or others; and
- (24) Documented Pattern of Persistent Tier IV Behavior.
(b) Disciplinary responses for Tier V behaviors include:
- (1) Off-site Long-Term Suspension, except in response to unexcused tardiness or absence; and
- (2) Expulsion.