Indiana - Limits on Referrals to Law Enforcement: Prohibitions or Restrictions
Indiana Code 20-33-9-6 Controlled substance violations; reports by members of administrative staffs
A member of the administrative staff who, based on personal knowledge or on the report of another employee of the school corporation, believes that a person has committed a violation described in section 1 [IC 20-33-9-1] of this chapter or a delinquent act that would be a violation described in section 1 of this chapter if the violator were an adult in, on, or within one thousand (1,000) feet of the school property of the school corporation employing the member, shall immediately report:
(1) a general description of the violation;
(2) the name or a general description of each violator known to the member;
(3) the date, time, and and place of the violation;
(4) the name or a general description of each person who the member knows witnessed any part of the violation; and
(5) a general description and the location of any property that the member knows was involved in the violation;
in writing to a law enforcement officer.
Indiana Code 20-34-6-1 School corporation reports; department reports
(a) By July 1 of each year, each school corporation shall submit a report to the department detailing the following information for the current school year for each school in the school corporation and for the entire school corporation:
- (1) The number of arrests of students on school corporation property, including arrests made by law enforcement officers, security guards, school safety specialists, and other school corporation employees, and any citizen arrests.
- (2) The offenses for which students were arrested on school corporation property.
- (3) The number of contacts with law enforcement personnel from a school corporation employee that have resulted in arrests of students not on school corporation property.
- (4) Statistics concerning the age, race, and gender of students arrested on school corporation property and categorizing the statistics by offenses.
- (5) Whether the school corporation has established and employs a school corporation police department under IC 20-26-16, and if so, report:
- (A) the number of officers in the school corporation police department; and
- (B) the training the officers must complete.
- (6) If the school corporation employs private security guards to enforce rules or laws on school property, a detailed explanation of the use of private security guards by the school corporation.
- (7) If the school corporation has an agreement with a local law enforcement agency regarding procedures to arrest students on school property, a detailed explanation of the use of the local law enforcement agency by the school corporation.
- (8) The number of reported bullying incidents involving a student of the school corporation by category. However, nothing in this subdivision may be construed to require all bullying incidents to be reported to a law enforcement agency.