Alabama - Professional Development for Bullying Prevention: Staff Qualifications and Professional Development
Alabama Code 16-28B-8 Suicide prevention programs, training, and policies; advisory committee; liability.
(a) To the extent that the Legislature shall appropriate funds, or to the extent that any local board may provide funds from other sources, each school system shall implement the following standards and policies for programs in an effort to prevent student suicide:
- (1) Foster individual, family, and group counseling services related to suicide prevention.
- (2) Make referral, crisis intervention, and other related information available for students, parents, and school personnel.
- (3) Foster training for school personnel who are responsible for counseling and supervising students.
- (4) Increase student awareness of the relationship between drug and alcohol use and suicide.
- (5) Educate students in recognizing signs of suicidal tendencies and other facts and warning signs of suicide.
- (6) Inform students of available community suicide prevention services.
- (7) Promote cooperative efforts between school personnel and community suicide prevention program personnel.
- (8) Foster school-based or community-based, or both, alternative programs outside of the classroom.
- (9) Develop a strategy to assist survivors of attempted suicide, students, and school personnel in coping with the issues relating to attempted suicide, suicide, the death of a student, and healing.
- (10) Engage in any other program or activity which the local board determines is appropriate and prudent in the efforts of the school system to prevent student suicide.
- (11) Provide training for school employees and volunteers who have significant contact with students on the local board policies to prevent harassment, intimidation, violence, and threats of violence.
- (12) Develop a process for discussing with students local board policies relating to the prevention of student suicide and to the prevention of harassment, intimidation, violence, and threats of violence.