Florida - Reengagement Plans for Suspended or Expelled Students: Policy or Plan Requirements
Florida Statutes 1001.43 Supplemental powers and duties of district school board.
The district school board may exercise the following supplemental powers and duties as authorized by this code or State Board of Education rule.
(1) Student management. — The district school board may adopt programs and policies to ensure the safety and welfare of individuals, the student body, and school personnel, which programs and policies may:
- (a) Prohibit the possession of weapons and drugs on campus, student hazing, and other activities that could threaten the operation of the school or the safety and welfare of the student body or school personnel.
- (b) Require uniforms to be worn by the student body, or impose other dress-related requirements, if the district school board finds that those requirements are necessary for the safety or welfare of the student body or school personnel. However, students may wear sunglasses, hats, or other sun-protective wear while outdoors during school hours, such as when students are at recess. A district school board that implements a districtwide standard student attire policy pursuant to s. 1011.78 is eligible to receive incentive payments.
- (c) Provide procedures for student dismissal precautions and for granting permission for students to leave school grounds during school hours, including releasing a student from school upon request by a parent or for public appearances of school groups.
- (d) Provide procedures for managing protests, demonstrations, sit-ins, walk-outs, or other acts of civil disobedience.
- (e) Provide procedures for detaining students and for readmission of students after expulsion.