North Carolina - Reengagement Plans for Suspended or Expelled Students: Policy or Plan Requirements
North Carolina General Statutes 115C-390.12. Request for readmission.
(2) a. The board of education shall consider all petitions for readmission of expelled students, together with the recommendation of the superintendent on the matter, and shall rule on the request for readmission. The board shall consider the petition based on the records submitted by the student and the response by the administration and shall allow the parties to be heard in the same manner as provided by G.S. 115C-45(c).
- b. The student shall be readmitted if the student demonstrates to the satisfaction of the board or superintendent that his or her presence in a school no longer constitutes a clear threat to the safety of other students or staff.
- c. A decision by a board of education to deny readmission of an expelled student is not subject to judicial review.
- d. An expelled student may subsequently request readmission not more often than every six months. The local board of education is not required to consider subsequent readmission petitions filed sooner than six months after the previous petition was filed.
- e. A decision on readmission under this section shall be issued within 30 days of the petition.
(b) If a student is readmitted under this section, the board and the superintendent have the right to assign the student to any program within the school system and to place reasonable conditions on the readmission.
(c) If a teacher was assaulted or injured by a student, and as a result the student was expelled, the student shall not be returned to that teacher's classroom following readmission unless the teacher consents.