State law requires employers to offer leave for parents to participate in school activities.
Nevada Revised Statutes 392.4577. Employer required to grant leave to parent to participate in school conferences and other school-related activities; conditions; exception.
- Except as otherwise provided in subsection 5, an employer shall grant a parent, guardian or custodian of a child who is enrolled in a public school leave from his or her place of employment for 4 hours per school year, which must be taken in increments of at least 1 hour, to:
- (a) Attend parent-teacher conferences;
- (b) Attend school-related activities during regular school hours;
- (c) Volunteer or otherwise be involved at the school in which his or her child is enrolled during regular school hours; and
- (d) Attend school-sponsored events.
The leave must be at a time mutually agreed upon by the employer and the employee.
An employer may require:
- (a) An employee to provide a written request for the leave at least 5 school days before the leave is taken; and
- (b) An employee who takes leave pursuant to this section to provide documentation that during the time of the leave, the employee attended or was otherwise involved at the school or school-related activity for one of the purposes set forth in subsection 1.
An employer is not required to pay an employee for any leave taken pursuant to this section.
A parent, guardian or custodian must be granted leave in accordance with this section for each child of the parent, guardian or custodian who is enrolled in public school.
The provisions of this section do not apply if an employee is afforded pursuant to the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement:
- (a) At least 4 hours of leave or more per school year for the purposes set forth in subsection 1 and subject to the same provisions as subsections 2, 3 and 4; and
- (b) Substantially similar protections and remedies for violations by the employer as those that are set forth in NRS 392.920.
As used in this section, “employer” means any person who has 50 or more employees for each working day in each of 20 or more calendar weeks in the current calendar year.