State law encourages parent or family member representation on school governance councils or in school improvement planning efforts.
Nevada Revised Statutes 385.625. Board of trustees authorized to establish local advisory council on parental involvement and family engagement.
The board of trustees of a school district may establish an advisory council on parental involvement and family engagement to work in conjunction with the Advisory Council.
Nevada Revised Statutes 385.635. Duties; annual report; posting of certain information on Department’s website.
(e) Provide support to those school districts which have established an advisory council on parental involvement and family engagement pursuant to NRS 385.625 and encourage those school districts which have not established such an advisory council to consider creating an advisory council for the school district.
Nevada Revised Statutes 385A.320 District communication; parental involvement
The annual report of accountability prepared pursuant to NRS 385A.070 must include information on district communication efforts and parental involvement, including, without limitation, efforts made by the school district and by each school in the district, including, without limitation, each charter school sponsored by the district, to increase:
- Communication with the parents of pupils enrolled in the district;
- The participation of parents in the educational process and activities relating to the school district and each school, including, without limitation, the existence of parent organizations and school advisory committees; and
- The involvement of parents and the engagement of families of pupils enrolled in the district in the education of their children.
Nevada Revised Statutes 388G.300. Authority of board of trustees to prescribe rules relating to creation and administration of program.
The board of trustees of a school district may prescribe rules relating to the creation and administration of a program of school-based decision making for the public schools within the district. The rules must provide:
- For the creation of a school council;
- For the involvement of parents and other members of the community on and with the school council;