State law addresses violence prevention
Arizona Revised Statutes 15-712.01
A. A school district that provides instruction in grades seven through twelve may incorporate dating abuse information that is age appropriate into the school district's existing health curriculum for pupils in grades seven through twelve that includes the following components:
- A definition of dating abuse.
- The recognition of dating abuse warning signs.
- The characteristics of healthy relationships.
B. On written request to the principal of the school where a child is enrolled, the parent or guardian of a pupil who is under eighteen years of age shall be permitted to review the dating abuse information instructional materials within a reasonable time after submitting the written request.
C. For the purposes of this section:
- “Dating abuse” means a pattern of behavior in which one person uses or threatens to use physical, sexual, verbal or emotional abuse to control the person's dating partner.
- “Dating partner” means any person who is involved in an intimate association with another person that is primarily characterized by the expectation of affectionate involvement and that includes casual, serious and long-term dating partners.