State law addresses hearing screening.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 117.3 Diagnostic screening.
(c) Diagnostic screening for new entrants shall include, but not be limited to:
- (1) a health examination by a health care provider, or evidence of such in the form of a health certificate, in accordance with sections 903, 904 and 905 of the Education Law;
- (2) certificates of immunization or referral for immunization in accordance with section 2164 of the Public Health Law;
- (3) vision, hearing and scoliosis screenings as required by section 136.3 of this Title;
- (4) a determination of development in oral expression, listening comprehension, written expression, basic reading skills and reading fluency and comprehension, mathematical calculation and problem solving, motor development, articulation skills, and cognitive development using recognized and validated screening tools: and
- (5) a determination whether the student is of foreign birth or ancestry and comes from a home where a language other than English is spoken as determined by the results of a home language questionnaire and an informal interview in English and the native language.
8 New York Codes, Rules and Regulations 136.3 School health services
(1) It shall be the duty of trustees and boards of education to provide:
- (ii) hearing screening, if not documented on the health certificate to all students within six months of admission to the school and in grades pre-kindergarten or kindergarten, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11, and at any other time deemed necessary; such screening shall include, but not be limited to, pure tone screening; the results of any such hearing tests requiring a follow up examination shall be in writing and shall be provided to the pupil's parent or person in parental relation and to any teacher of the pupil within the school while the pupil is enrolled in the school.
Health Examination Guidelines For Schools 2018
Guidelines address preventive health screenings, including age-appropriate hearing screenings.
Hearing Screening Guidelines for Schools 2018
Guidelines address hearing screenings in schools.