State law requires physical activity incorporated throughout the school day (e.g., classroom breaks, time for physical activity).
200-RICR-20-10-1.3.3 Health and Social Service Supports
- Research shows that students are better able to learn when they are engaged in regular physical activity and receive adequate and proper nutrition. Therefore, each LEA shall:
- a. Ensure the provision of statutorily required, Standard-based instruction in physical education;
- b. Implement a policy for physical activity and nutrition and a plan to address the physical activity and nutrition needs of students;
- c. Provide daily recess opportunities for students in grades Kindergarten through grade 5;
- d. Provide a variety of physical activity opportunities to students in grades 6 through 12, such as stretch breaks, dance programs or classes, intramural athletics, interscholastic athletics, or other activities; ...