State law, regulation, or district policy addresses vaping or electronic cigarette use.
Maine Revised Statutes 22 1541. Definitions
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
1-A. Electronic smoking device. “Electronic smoking device” means a device used to deliver nicotine or any other substance intended for human consumption that may be used by a person to simulate smoking through inhalation of vapor or aerosol from the device, including, without limitation, a device manufactured, distributed, marketed or sold as an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic pipe, electronic hookah or so-called vape pen. [...]
6. Smoking. “Smoking” includes carrying or having in one’s possession a lighted or heated cigarette, cigar or pipe or a lighted or heated tobacco or plant product intended for human consumption through inhalation whether natural or synthetic in any manner or in any form. “Smoking” includes the use of an electronic smoking device.
Maine Revised Statutes 22 1542. Smoking prohibited in public places.
1. Prohibition. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas of public places, outdoor eating areas as provided in section 1550 and all rest rooms made available to the public. In the case of a child care facility that is not home-based, smoking is also prohibited in a facility-designated motor vehicle within 12 hours before transporting a child who is in the care of the child care facility, and whenever such a child is present in the vehicle. Smoking is also prohibited in outdoor areas of the facility where children may be present.
Maine Revised Statutes 22 1578-B. Tobacco use in elementary and secondary schools prohibited
1. Definitions. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
- A. “Elementary or secondary school” means any public elementary or secondary school approved in accordance with Title 20-A, chapter 206, subchapter I.
- B. “Principal” has the same meaning as defined in Title 20-A, section 1, subsection 21.
- C. “Student” means any elementary or secondary student enrolled in an elementary or secondary school as defined in Title 20-A, chapter 1.
D. “Tobacco use” includes smoking, which means carrying or having in one’s possession a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe or other object giving off or containing any substance giving off smoke, and the use of smokeless tobacco.
2. Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection 3, tobacco use in the buildings or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school is prohibited.
3. Exceptions. Tobacco use may be permitted in classrooms only as part of a bona fide demonstration during a class lesson, with prior notice being given to the school’s administrator.
4. Repealed. Laws 2007, c. 156, § 3.
5. Repealed. Laws 2007, c. 156, § 4.
6. Enforcement. The principal of the elementary or secondary school, or the principal’s designee, shall enforce the law prohibiting and restricting tobacco use under this section.