State law addresses physical activity.
Health Education Grades 9-12
Describe how personal nutrition and physical activity early in life impact health during later years.
Louisiana Administrative Code 28 LIX 107. Need and Context for Reform
The elements described in this Section as “twenty-first century student outcomes” are the skills, knowledge and expertise students should master to succeed in work and life in the twenty-first century (Framework for 21st Century Learning).
- a. obtaining, interpreting, and understanding basic health information and services and using such information and services in ways that are health enhancing;
- b. understanding preventive physical and mental health measures, including proper diet, exercise, risk avoidance and stress reduction;
- c. using available information to make appropriate health-related decisions;
- d. establishing and monitoring personal and family health goals;
- e. understanding national and international public health and safety issues.
Learning and Innovation Skills. Learning and innovation skills are increasingly being recognized as the skills that separate students who are prepared for increasingly complex life and work environments in the twenty-first century, and those who are not. A focus on creativity, critical thinking, communication and collaboration is essential to prepare students for the future:
- a. creativity and innovation;
- b. critical thinking and problem solving;
- c. communication and collaboration;
- d. information, media, and technology skills.
- i. People in the twenty-first century live in a technology and media-suffused environment, marked by various characteristics, including:
- (a). access to an abundance of information;
- (b). rapid changes in technology tools; and
- (c). the ability to collaborate and make individual contributions on an unprecedented scale.
- ii. To be effective in the twenty-first century, citizens and workers must be able to exhibit a range of functional and critical thinking skills related to information, media and technology