State law addresses safety and injury.
Michigan Compiled Laws 380.1170a Model core academic curriculum content Standard for health education; subject area content expectations and guidelines for health education; instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defib
(1) By not later than the 2017-2018 school year, the department shall ensure that the model core academic curriculum content Standard for health education and the subject area content expectations and guidelines for health education under section 1278a provide for all of the following:
- (a) Instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for pupils enrolled in grades 7 to 12. Subject to subsection (5), the content Standard and subject area content expectations shall ensure that the psychomotor skills necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation are incorporated into the instruction and that the instruction is based on either of the following:
- (i) An instructional program developed by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
- (ii) Nationally recognized, evidence-based guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- (b) Instruction about automated external defibrillators for pupils enrolled in grades 7 to 12.
Michigan Merit Curriculum Credit Guidelines: Health Education
Safety and injury prevention is taught as part of health education.