State law addresses safety and injury.
Oklahoma Administrative Code 210:15-3-143.1 Standard One: Comprehending Concepts in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
(d) Standard One objectives for Grades 6-8. The following objectives apply for students in Grade 6 through Grade 8:
- (5) Objective 5. Describe ways to reduce or prevent injuries and other adolescent health problems.
- (6) Objective 6. Explain how appropriate health care can promote personal health.
- (7) Objective 7. Describe the benefits of and barriers to practicing healthy behaviors.
- (8) Objective 8. Examine the likelihood of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
- (9) Objective 9. Examine the potential seriousness of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
Oklahoma Administrative Code 210:35-3-110 Healthy and Fit School Advisory Committee
School districts are encouraged to inform teachers of students in grades seven (7) through twelve (12) about the importance of incorporating workplace safety training in their curriculum. The Oklahoma Department of Labor has prepared a free “Youth @ Work Talking Safety” curriculum for this purpose, available through the Oklahoma State Department of Education website.
Oklahoma Statutes 70-11-103.6j Workplace safety training information.
A. The State Department of Education, in collaboration with the Oklahoma Department of Labor, shall make available to school districts information regarding workplace safety training for grades seven through twelve. Such information shall include the Oklahoma Department of Labor's “Youth @ Work Talking Safety: A Safety and Health Curriculum for Young Workers”. B. The State Department of Education shall encourage school districts to inform grade-seven through -twelve teachers about the importance of incorporating workplace safety training in their curriculum.
Priority Academic Student Skills HEALTH/SAFETY EDUCATION
Safety and injury prevention is taught as part of health education.