State law recommends newly hired staff who teach PE be certified, licensed, or endorsed by the state in PE.
EDUCATOR LICENSURE APPROVALS: EDUCATOR LICENSURE APPROVAL REQUIREMENTS
Site addresses licensure requirements for adaptive physical education teachers.
EDUCATOR LICENSURE: PEL TEACHING ENDORSEMENTS
Site addresses licensure requirements for physical education teachers.
EDUCATOR LICENSURE: SUBSEQUENT TEACHING ENDORSEMENTS
Site addresses licensure requirements for physical education teachers to earn content area endorsements.
Illinois Administrative Code 23-1.737 Minimum Requirements for the Assignment of Teachers in Grades 9 through 12 Beginning July 1 2004
a) Beginning July 1, 2004, no teacher may be assigned to teach a particular content area in any of grades 9 through 12 unless he or she holds a professional educator license in a teaching field and:
1) holds the applicable endorsement for the assignment (and, in the case of the educator license with stipulations endorsed for career and technical educator, has also completed the work experience required pursuant to subsection (c));
2) met the requirements of Section 1.730, 1.735, or 1.736, or their predecessor requirements, at a time when they were applicable to that assignment, as confirmed by the employing district's verification of the individual's qualifications;
3) meets the minimum requirements for that assignment identified in subsection (b) and has not exhausted the three-year period of eligibility available pursuant to 23 Ill. Adm. Code 25.100(m);
4) meets the requirements of Section 1.745, if applicable; or
5) is assigned pursuant to 23 Ill. Adm. Code 25.430 (Short-Term Approval for Teachers at All Grade Levels).
Illinois Administrative Code 23-25. APPENDIX D Criteria for Identification of Teachers as "Highly Qualified" in Various Circumstances
In accordance with Section 21B-200 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/21B-200], teachers who hold an endorsement either in physical education or health shall be considered highly qualified if they meet the requirements stated in this Appendix D as relevant to general education assignments at the grade level of instruction and shall present evidence of meeting those requirements if requested to do so by their school districts of employment.