State law allows PE waiver.
Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 12 Rule Interpretation
A pupil is not required to enroll in physical education courses if the pupil’s parent or guardian files a written statement with the school principal that the course conflicts with the pupil’s religious beliefs pursuant to Iowa Code section 256.11(6).
Iowa Code 256.9 Duties of director.
- a. Grant annual exemptions from one or more of the minimum education Standard contained in section 256.11 and rules adopted by the state board of education to nonpublic schools or public school districts who are engaging in comprehensive school transformation efforts that are broadly consistent with the current Standard, but require exemption from one or more Standard in order to implement the comprehensive school transformation effort within the nonpublic school or school district. Nonpublic schools or public school districts wishing to be exempted from one or more of the minimum Standard contained in section 256.11 and rules adopted by the state board of education shall file a request for an exemption with the department. Requests for exemption shall include all of the following:
- (1) A description of the nonpublic school or public school district's school transformation plan, including but not limited to new structures, methodologies, and creative approaches designed to help students achieve at higher levels.
- (2) Identification of the standard or Standard for which the exemption is being sought, including a statement of the reasons for requesting the exemption from the standard or Standard.
- (3) Identification of a method for periodic demonstration that student achievement will not be lessened by the granting of the exemption.
- b. The director shall develop a procedure for application for exemption and receipt, review, and evaluation of nonpublic school and public school district requests, including but not limited to development of criteria for the granting or denying of requests for exemptions and a time line for the submission, review, and granting or denying of requests for exemption from one or more Standard.