State law specifically allows for fees for participation.
Colorado Revised Statutes 22-32-116.5. Extracurricular and interscholastic activities - definitions
(6) (a) A school may charge any student participating in an activity a participation fee as a prerequisite to participation.
Colorado Revised Statutes 22-32-117. Miscellaneous fees
(2) (a) A board may require a pupil to pay:
- (I) Tuition as authorized by law;
- (II) Any fees reasonably necessary for and reasonably related to the actual cost of textbooks or expendable supplies not provided free of charge;
- (III) Charges and fees authorized by this section and section 22-32-118;
- (IV) Miscellaneous fees collected on a voluntary basis as a condition of participation or attendance at a school-sponsored activity or program not within the academic portion of the educational program