State law specifically allows for fees for participation.
Mississippi Code 37-7-301 General powers and duties
The school boards of all school districts shall have the following powers, authority and duties in addition to all others imposed or granted by law, to wit:
- (ii) To charge reasonable fees for participating in an extracurricular activity for academic or nonacademic credit for necessary and required equipment such as safety equipment, band instruments and uniforms;
Mississippi Code 37-7-335 Establishment of fees; hardship waiver policy
(1) The school board of any school district shall be authorized to charge reasonable fees, but not more than the actual cost, for the following:
- (a) Supplemental instructional materials and supplies, excluding textbooks;
- (b) Any other fees designated by the local school board as fees related to a valid curriculum educational objective, including transportation; and
- (c) Extracurricular activities and any other educational activities of the school district that are not designated by the local school board as valid curriculum educational objectives, such as band trips and athletic events.