State law enumerates protected classes, including explicit protections for LGBTQ youth.
Minnesota Statutes 121A.031 School Student Bullying Policy
Subd. 4. Local policy components.
(b) Professional development under a local policy includes, but is not limited to, information about:
- (1) developmentally appropriate strategies both to prevent and to immediately and effectively intervene to stop prohibited conduct;
- (2) the complex dynamics affecting an actor, target, and witnesses to prohibited conduct;
- (3) research on prohibited conduct, including specific categories of students at risk for prohibited conduct in school;
- (4) the incidence and nature of cyberbullying; and
- (5) Internet safety and cyberbullying.
Model Harassment and Violence Prohibition Policy
Model policy contains explicit protections from harassment or discrimination for vulnerable populations.