State law requires districts to implement community service education or service learning programs, or encourages and offers student incentives for participation (e.g., recognition programs or course credit).
New Mexico Administrative Code 220.127.116.11 Procedural Requirements
K. Graduation requirements.
- (1) The New Mexico eleventh grade SBA. The district or charter school shall be in compliance with requirements as specified in Section 22-13-1.1 NMSA 1978 and Subsection L of Section 66-7-506 NMSA 1978 (offering driver education, service learning and financial literacy as electives). The department specifies that students shall meet all graduation requirements in order to be eligible to receive a diploma. This includes the requirement of passing the eleventh grade SBA.
New Mexico Statutes 22-13-1.1. Graduation requirements.
G. Successful completion of a minimum of twenty-three units aligned to the state academic content and performance Standard shall be required for graduation. These units shall be as follows:
- (1) four units in English, with major emphasis on grammar and literature;
- (2) three units in mathematics, at least one of which is equivalent to the algebra 1 level or higher;
- (3) two units in science, one of which shall have a laboratory component; provided, however, that with students entering the ninth grade beginning in the 2005-2006 school year, three units in science shall be required, one of which shall have a laboratory component;
- (4) three units in social science, which shall include United States history and geography, world history and geography and government and economics;
- (5) one unit in physical education;
- (6) one unit in communication skills or business education, with a major emphasis on writing and speaking and that may include a language other than English;
- (7) one-half unit in New Mexico history for students entering the ninth grade beginning in the 2005-2006 school year; and
- (8) nine elective units and seven and one-half elective units for students entering the ninth grade in the 2005-2006 school year that meet department content and performance Standard. Student service learning shall be offered as an elective. Financial literacy shall be offered as an elective. Pre-apprenticeship programs may be offered as electives. Media literacy may be offered as an elective.