State law encourages parent and family engagement as a component of English Language Learner (ELL) programs.
Oregon Administrative Rules 581-020-0624 ELL District and School Improvement: Best Practices and Promising
(1) The Department shall create an online resource bank for sharing national, state and local best practices and promising practices in serving ELL students and engaging families of ELL students. The best practices and promising practices must be culturally responsive. (2) The online resource bank shall include resources for best practices and promising practices and should address at a minimum:
- (a) The provision of support for students who are in grades 6 to 12 and have been identified as ELL students for six or more years;
- (b) The provision of support for students who are former ELL students;
- (c) Engagement of families and delivering essential notifications relating to ELL programs; and
- (d) Identification of students who are eligible to be enrolled as ELL students. (3) The statewide plan to support ELL students shall be included with the online resource bank.
Oregon Revised Statutes 336.076 Advisory group regarding English language learner programs
(1) The Department of Education shall convene an advisory group to advise the department regarding English language learner programs. (2) The advisory group must consist of 15 members, including educators, parents, culturally specific community stakeholders, experts on English language learner policy and experts in collecting and analyzing data. The department shall solicit recommendations from organizations that represent educators, administrators, school district boards and parents when determining membership of the advisory group. (3) The advisory group shall advise the department on the following: (a) The implementation of ORS 327.016 and 336.079 to ensure that the policies and the programmatic and financial components of those statutes align with statewide efforts related to English language learners and with other efforts to serve the public school students of this state. (b) Statewide efforts related to the implementation of federal law to ensure alignment with the implementation efforts of ORS 327.016 and 336.079. (c) The development and implementation of programs to enable students to achieve biliteracy. (d) The development and implementation of a statewide, long-term strategic plan for English language learners in this state. (e) The provision to English language learners of both English language development classes and academic content classes that: (A) Are meaningful and rigorous for English language learners; and (B) Enable English language learners to satisfy the requirements for a high school diploma. (f) Institutional support and engagement to ensure that public educators receive appropriate professional development opportunities related to English language learners and cultural responsiveness. (g) Ongoing support to be provided to school districts to ensure that English language learners have the resources available to be successful in school and to satisfy the requirements for a high school diploma. (4) The advisory group shall meet at least four times each year.