State law references National Health Education Standards as a guide for providing HE or includes a list of all National Health Education Standards without mentioning the standards by name.
Rhode Island Health Education Framework
"The Rhode Island Health Education Framework draws heavily from the National Health Education Standards"
The Rhode Island Health Education Framework
As previously stated, this document was built on the 1995 National Health Education Standards. This adaptation is reflected in the use and adherence to the original format used in the National Standard. Each standard is accompanied by a rationale and a list of performance descriptions that state what students should know and be able to do at different stages of their health education.
RHODE ISLAND’S HEALTH EDUCATION Standard
Students will understand the concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention as a foundation for a healthy life.
Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology and other factors on health
Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making to enhance health.
Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, community, and environmental health.
The Rhode Island Physical Education Framework
1995 National Physical Education Standards National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE)
A Physically Educated Person:
- Demonstrates competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms.
- Applies movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
- Exhibits a physically active lifestyle.
- Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Demonstrates responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity settings.
- Demonstrates understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
- Understands that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.