State law addresses plans for managing chronic conditions.
Food Allergy Guidelines for Michigan Schools
Document provides guidance on management and emergency care needs of students with food allergies.
Michigan Compiled Laws 380.1179 Use of inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector permitted; conditions; liability; extra inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector; notice to classroom teachers; definitions.
(1) If the conditions prescribed in subsection (2) are met, notwithstanding any school or school district policy to the contrary, a pupil of a public school or nonpublic school may possess and use 1 or more of the following at school, on school-sponsored transportation, or at any activity, event, or program sponsored by or in which the pupil's school is participating:
- (a) A metered dose inhaler or a dry powder inhaler to alleviate asthmatic symptoms or for use before exercise to prevent the onset of asthmatic symptoms.
- (b) An epinephrine auto-injector or epinephrine inhaler to treat anaphylaxis.
(2) Subsection (1) applies to a pupil if all of the following conditions are met:
- (a) The pupil has written approval to possess and use the inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector as described in subsection (1) from the pupil's physician or other health care provider authorized by law to prescribe an inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector and, if the pupil is a minor, from the pupil's parent or legal guardian.
- (b) The principal or other chief administrator of the pupil's school has received a copy of each written approval required under subdivision (a) for the pupil.
- (c) There is on file at the pupil's school a written emergency care plan that contains specific instructions for the pupil's needs, that is prepared by a physician licensed in this state in collaboration with the pupil and the pupil's parent or legal guardian, and that is updated as necessary for changing circumstances.
MODEL POLICY ON THE MANAGEMENT OF ASTHMA IN SCHOOLS
Model policy addresses management and emergency care needs of students with asthma.
MODEL POLICY ON THE MANAGEMENT OF DIABETES IN THE SCHOOL SETTING
Model policy addresses management and emergency care needs of students with diabetes.