State law allows waivers for religious or moral reasons.
MEMORANDUM: 2019 Immunization Requirements for Children Entering Kindergarten and 7th Grade, or Enrolling in a New School District in Grades 1-12
Memo addresses vaccination waivers for medical or religious reasons.
Michigan Administrative Code R 325.176 Immunizations required of children attending group programs or entering school.
(11) If the requirements for immunization cannot be completed due to medical reasons within 4 months of admittance, a child may remain enrolled in a school or group program for a reasonable length of time that is consistent with good medical practice. A statement requesting the enrollment of the child beyond the exclusion date shall be signed by a physician or local health officer and shall certify that the child is in the process of complying with all immunization requirements. This medical exemption shall be filed with the child's school or group program immunization records until it can be replaced with proof that the vaccines for which an exemption was granted have been received. Upon completion of the required immunizations, a parent shall present the school or group program with a certificate of immunization. (12) When presented with a medical exemption, religious or other exemption, the administrator of a child's school or operator of a child's group program shall recognize the exemption status of the child.
Michigan Compiled Laws 333.9215 Exemptions.
(1) A child is exempt from the requirements of this part as to a specific immunization for any period of time as to which a physician certifies that a specific immunization is or may be detrimental to the child's health or is not appropriate. (2) A child is exempt from this part if a parent, guardian, or person in loco parentis of the child presents a written statement to the administrator of the child's school or operator of the group program to the effect that the requirements of this part cannot be met because of religious convictions or other objection to immunization.
Michigan Compiled Laws 380.1177 Immunization statements; vision screening test; immunization status and vision report; rules.
(1) A child enrolling in a public or nonpublic school for the first time or, beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, enrolling in grade 7 for the first time shall submit 1 of the following:
- (a) A statement signed by a physician that the child has been tested for and immunized or protected against diseases specified by the director of the department of community health.
- (b) A statement signed by a parent or guardian to the effect that the child has not been immunized because of religious convictions or other objection to immunization.
- (c) A statement signed by a physician that certifies that the child is in the process of complying with all immunization requirements.