State law requires a health screening prior to entry (which may or may not specifically include vision, hearing, dental, or BMI exams).
Code of Maine Rules 05-071-045 Rule for Vision and Hearing Screening in Maine Public Schools
D. Distance vision acuity
i. Shall be screened in preschool, kindergarten and grades, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.
ii. The screening tools recommended for preschool, kindergarten, and grade 1 unless students know their letters are:
- HOTV chart (illuminated preferred, critical line screening is permissible;
- LEA SYMBOLS(R) chart (illuminated preferred, critical line screening permissible);
- Computer-based screening programs
Maine Revised Statutes 20-A 6451. Health screening
- Student right to screening for sight and hearing defects. Each student must be screened periodically to determine whether the student has sight or hearing defects.
- Commissioner’s duties.The commissioner shall: A. After consultation with the Commissioner of Health and Human Services and in collaboration with the school nurse consultant as described in section 6401-A, adopt rules and provide school administrative units with a copy of these rules and guidance to carry out this subsection; and C. Furnish guidance, training and sample report and referral forms that may be helpful for carrying out the purpose of this section.
- Exempt students. A student whose parent objects in writing to screening may not be screened unless a sight or hearing defect is reasonably apparent.