State law requires or recommends that all school nurses be properly certified by the state.
Maine Revised Statutes 20-A 6403. School nurse
Each school board shall appoint at least one school nurse for the school administrative unit.
- Duties.The school nurse shall supervise and coordinate the health services and health-related activities required by this Title.
- Other functions.The school nurse shall also perform such other health-related activities as are assigned by the school board.
- Appointment.To fulfill the role of school nurse, the school board shall appoint a registered professional nurse who meets any additional certification requirements established by the state board.
- Special contract for services.The school board may provide school nurse services through special agreements with a public health agency or with an individual registered professional nurse. All nurses who serve as school nurses under those agreements must be registered professional nurses who meet applicable certification requirements.
- Guidelines.The commissioner shall issue guidelines on the provision of school health services and health-related activities.