State law requires or recommends that all school nurses be properly certified by the state.
New Hampshire Administrative Rules Ed 306.12 School Health Services
(a) In accordance with federal and state law, including, but not limited to, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, RSA 141-C, RSA 169-C, RSA 200:26-41, and RSA 326-B,the local school board shall require that each school provides qualified personnel to carry out appropriate school health-related activities.
(b) Each school nurse employed by a school district shall hold a current license as a registered nurse under RSA 326-Band a current school nurse certificate under Ed 504.07, Ed 504.08 or Ed 504.09. Each registered nurse, licensed practical nurse or licensed nursing assistant employed by a school district shall hold such current license under RSA 326-B. If a school nurse or licensed practical nurse is not available to a school for any reason, at least one other person who has a current first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification (CPR) certification shall be available.
New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated 200:29 School Nurse; Certification
I. A superintendent may nominate and school board appoint a school nurse to function in the school health program, and provide said nurse with proper facilities and equipment. A school nurse shall be a registered professional nurse currently licensed in New Hampshire and certified by the state board of education.
- (a) An individual shall have the following entry level requirements to be certified as a school nurse:
- (1) Have completed a board of nursing approved registered nursing program at the bachelor's degree level or higher under RSA 326-B; and
- (2) Have 3 years current experience in pediatric nursing or other related nursing areas.
- (a) All school nurses hired on or before the effective date of this paragraph and having applied for certification prior to the effective date of this paragraph shall not be subject to the certification requirements in paragraph II.
- (b) All school nurses appointed after the effective date of this paragraph and before July 1, 2022 holding an associates' degree in nursing, and all nurses hired before the effective date of this paragraph who did not meet the application deadline in subparagraph (a), shall be enrolled in a registered nurse to bachelor of science in nursing program and shall complete such program within 6 years of the date of this paragraph.
- (c) All school nurses appointed after the effective date of this paragraph holding a bachelor's degree or higher in nursing shall hold certification pursuant to rules adopted by the state board of education.
- (d) All school nurses appointed on or after July 1, 2022, shall meet the certification requirements in paragraph II, pursuant to rules adopted by the state board of education.
NH DOE Technical Advisory School Nurse; Certification
Document addresses certification requirements for school nurses.