State law requires or recommends that all school nurses be properly certified by the state.
Wisconsin Administrative Code PI 8.01 School district Standard.
(g) Emergency nursing services. Each school district board shall provide emergency nursing services under a written policy adopted and implemented by the school district board which meets all of the following requirements.
- The emergency nursing policies shall be developed by a professional nurse or nurses registered in Wisconsin in cooperation with other school district personnel and representatives from community health agencies and services as may be designated by the board.
- Policies for emergency nursing services shall include protocols for dealing with pupil accidental injury, illness and administration of medication at all school sponsored activities including but not limited to curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and a method to record each incident of service provided.
- Arrangements shall be made with a licensed physician to serve as medical advisor for the emergency nursing service.
Wisconsin Statutes and Annotations 115.001 Definitions.
(11) School nurse.“School nurse” means a registered nurse who is licensed under ch. 441 or who holds a multistate license, as defined in s. 441.51 (2) (h), issued in a party state, as defined in s. 441.51
(2) (k), who submits evidence satisfactory to the department that he or she has successfully completed a course, determined to be satisfactory to the department, in public health or community health.
Wisconsin Statutes and Annotations 120.13 School board powers.
(11) NURSES AND DENTISTS. Employ qualified public health nurses, school nurses, registered nurses and licensed dentists who shall cooperate with the local board of health, as defined in s. 250.01 (3), and the department of health services.