State law addresses food service worker training but not required, or requires training that does not meet the level of the USDA professional standards.
Montana Code Annotated 20-10-201. Acceptance expenditure and administration of federal school food services money.
(3) The superintendent of public instruction may:
- (a) enter into agreements and cooperate with any federal agency, district, or other agency or person, prescribe regulations, employ personnel, and take any other action that the superintendent of public instruction may consider necessary to:
- (i) provide for the establishment, operation, and expansion of school food services; and
- (ii) disburse federal and state funds according to the requirements of federal and state law;
- (b) give technical advice and assistance to any district establishing or operating school food services and assist in the training of personnel for the services;
Montana School Wellness in Action: A Step-By-Step Guide
This document provides guidance for schools and school districts developing, implementing, and updating their school wellness policies in accordance with the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 and USDA guidance, including encouraging school nutrition program staff to receive regular professional development.
This document lists the required training hours for school nutrition program employees.